When dealing with military relocations, understanding the various acronyms used in the process can be crucial. Here are some must-know acronyms related to military relocations:
- PCS: Permanent Change of Station – This refers to the official relocation of a military member and their family to a new duty station.
- TDY: Temporary Duty – A short-term assignment away from a military member’s permanent duty station.
- CONUS: Continental United States – Refers to locations within the contiguous 48 states.
- OCONUS: Outside Continental United States – Refers to locations outside the contiguous 48 states, including overseas assignments.
- BAH: Basic Allowance for Housing – A monetary allowance provided to military members to cover housing costs when government housing is not available.
- POV: Personally Owned Vehicle – A military member’s private vehicle.
- TMO: Transportation Management Office – The office responsible for coordinating the transportation of household goods and personal effects during a relocation.
- HHG: Household Goods – The belongings and personal items of a military member and their family that are transported during a relocation.
- DITY/DITY Move: Do-It-Yourself Move – When a military member chooses to personally manage the packing, transportation, and unpacking of their belongings during a relocation and is eligible for reimbursement.
- PPM: Personally Procured Move – Another acronym for a DITY move, where the military member arranges and pays for their own move and can be reimbursed by the government.
- AHRN: Automated Housing Referral Network – An online resource that helps military members find suitable housing at their new duty station.
- LES: Leave and Earnings Statement – A document that outlines a military member’s pay and deductions.
- DEERS: Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System – The system that verifies the eligibility of family members for military benefits, including healthcare.
- PCS Orders: The official documentation that outlines a military member’s relocation instructions, including destination, reporting dates, and other relevant details.
- COLA: Cost of Living Allowance – An additional payment provided to military members stationed in high-cost areas to help offset the increased living expenses.
- JTR: Joint Travel Regulations – The document that provides guidelines and regulations for military travel and relocation, including allowances and reimbursements.
- POV Storage: Personally Owned Vehicle Storage – Temporary storage for a military member’s vehicle during a relocation.
- CNA: Customer Notification Assistance – The process of notifying various organizations and agencies about a change in address during a relocation.
- EFMP: Exceptional Family Member Program – A program that provides support and resources to military families with special medical or educational needs.
- MWR: Morale, Welfare, and Recreation – Programs and services provided to enhance the quality of life for military members and their families during relocations.
Understanding these acronyms can help make the military relocation process smoother and less confusing. Keep in mind that military terminology can evolve over time, so it’s always a good idea to verify any changes with official sources.
If you know someone looking to move near a military base – please send them our website below where we provide loads of base information.
Our military map has lots of resources for every military base within the United States including schools, base housing, colleges, Facebook groups, and connections to local real estate agents that are military affiliated and provide OUR credit