What is Geo-Baching in the Military

“Geo-baching” is a term used in military slang to refer to the situation where a service member’s family lives in a different location (often their home of record) than the service member’s duty station. The term is a combination of “geographical bachelor” or “geographically separated bachelor.”

This situation arises for various reasons, such as the service member being stationed in a location where family accommodation is not feasible or practical, or when it’s more financially viable for the family to remain in their original location. Geo-baching can be a challenging experience for service members and their families due to the separation it entails, but it’s a relatively common aspect of military life, particularly for those in assignments that involve frequent moves or deployments.

Will I get BAH while I geo-bach?
Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) is a military benefit provided to eligible service members to assist with housing costs when they are not provided government housing. Whether a service member receives BAH while geo-baching depends on several factors, including military regulations and the specific circumstances of the service member.

What is Geo-Baching in the Military

In some cases, service members who are geo-baching may still receive BAH if they meet certain eligibility criteria. For example, if the service member’s duty station is in an area where government housing is not available or if the service member can demonstrate that maintaining a residence elsewhere is necessary due to family or other circumstances. It could be the type of orders that the member is on will dictate whether this is allowed.

However, BAH regulations can vary, and they are subject to change. Service members should consult with their unit’s administrative personnel or military finance office for guidance specific to their situation.

What is Geo-Baching in the Military

Can I live in the barracks when I’m married?
Whether or not you can live in the barracks when you’re married depends on the policies of the military branch you serve in and your specific circumstances. In many cases, married service members are eligible for housing allowances to live in off-base housing (whether renting or buying) or on-base housing if available. However, regulations can vary, so it’s essential to consult with your unit’s housing office or personnel office for specific guidance regarding your situation.

If you know someone looking to move near a military base – please send them our website below where we provide loads of base information.

Military Move Network Map

Click here to access our PCS Map

Our military map has lots of resources for every military base within the United States including schools, base housing, colleges, Facebook groups, and connections to local real estate agents that are military affiliated and provide OUR credit


                                         If you are looking for a home in Washington – check us out at www.kelseyandjorge.com

You may also like

Share Your Thoughts